Frequently Asked Questions
You can find helpful answers to questions considering the application process for the M.A. program »Integrated Design«.

The fee for all students (EU and non-EU citizens) is approximately 250 Euros per semester, which includes an unlimited regional public transportation ticket. Depending on your accommodation costs, you should calculate an additional 700 to 800 Euros per month for food, housing, etc.

Please be aware that to obtain the German student visa, you will have to prove via a bank statement that you have at least 8,700 Euros per year set aside for living costs. More information on this and more can be found in detail on the »Study In Germany« website.

If you decide to do the Double Degree abroad, you will only have to pay the normal semester fee plus any additional costs for housing etc. There are scholarships available for German citizens but any other scholarship will have to be researched independently, as KISD does not offer any financial aid for studying abroad. Check the DAAD website to search for specific scholarship options.

The M.A. program is only begins in the Summer Term (March of every year) and we only offer the opportunity to apply to the M.A. program in the Winter Term (Application Period Nov 01-12).

Yes, but you have to be very convincing. Why do you want to study Integrated Design? What makes you a good fit for KISD? What can you bring from your past experiences to the program and how does studying at KISD fit into your overall goals? Please explain this clearly in your motivational letter and/or your portfolio.

Yes, it is possible to make up for the 30 missing credits with a year of full-time work experience in design or a design-related field.

Unfortunately, we are not able to give individual feedback for the portfolio because of the large number of applications. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Choose projects and experiences that give a good overview both of your fields of interest and your design/design-related experience and qualifications. Works can come from academic, professional, or free projects. The uploaded PDF file should not exceed 5MB.

Usually, every university gives you information about your national credit points vs. ECTS credit points. Most programs that last three years or more cover the required amount, but you should check with your home university.

The M.A. program is full-time; however, depending on your visa, you will be able to work up to 20 hours part-time on the side. Many students also have part-time internships. That being said, your work should not interfere with your studies.

We recognize all B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and do not have a specific deadline for the amount of time that they need to be valid.
List of major recognized tests and their corresponding B2 scores (
CEFR: B2 level
EF SET: B2 level – 51 to 60 Points
IELTS: B2 level – 5.5 to 6.0 Points
TOEFL: B2 level – 72 to 94 Points (internet-based version, UniAssist code: 2727)
Cambridge: B2 level – 160 to 179 Points
Global Scale of English (Pearson): B2 level – 59 to 75 Points

No, if you studied your Bachelor degree in English, you simply need to submit your transcript to prove that the courses were in English and write us a letter stating that your studies were in English and submit it along with your other application documents.

Please just write us a letter stating your citizenship or any other proof of native English proficiency and submit that along with your other application documents.

It is possible to hand in your language certificate later and make a notification about it in your application. The applicants can submit the certificates later, but it is required that you upload a binding confirmation of the date for the test in the portal.

You can find information about student housing on the TH Köln website housing page. Additionally, there are special allocated student apartments throughout Cologne made available by StudentenWerk. Renting a room in a shared flat (called a »WG« for short, in German) can cost approximately 300 to 500 euros per month. Once you are accepted, there will be more information sent to you by the KISD main office to help you in your search.

Please note that due to the number of students in Cologne, finding accommodation can take some time. When accepted to KISD, you can contact the TH Köln International Office and KISD student Facebook groups to inquire about rooms for rent.

Please be aware that there are scams targeting international students – for this reason, we do not recommend transferring money to book an apartment before meeting the people and seeing the place in person.

Unfortunately, there are no KISD scholarships available.

There are, however, scholarships available for students by the German government and other entities. All information can be found here:
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Stiftungen in Deutschland

Yes, we offer German courses especially for designers at KISD. You will be able to sign up for them as soon as you arrive. Other options are free classes at TH Köln, which require you to take a language placement test upon your arrival, and the Volkshochschule, which are inexpensive.

We recommend taking a basic German course before arrival since most government and administrative documents in Germany are in German and it will help you adjust to living in Cologne.

Yes, it is possible. Please contact the Application Assessment Team:

Unfortunately, we are not able to give individual explanations for the rejections because of the large number of applications. We apologize for any inconvenience and encourage you to apply again next year.

Uni-Assist is a German government certification entity founded to standardize the application procedure for international student applicants. They act as the liaison between international student applicants and the university regarding official paperwork and eligibility. They are completely separate from KISD and TH Köln and have a different application process.

You can read more about the Uni-Assist process on the TH Köln page or contact the TH Köln International Office and they might be able to help you:

Please note that if hold a german degree, you do not have to apply to Uni-Assist. Please double check your eligibility. Specific country requirements can be found on their site:

You have to apply to Uni-Assist before you have to apply to CAMS the portal of TH Köln if you are an international or non-German student. They will check your national degree qualifications in Uni Assist and let the university know if you are eligible. After that you have to apply to CAMS

All further questions can be answered on their FAQ website:

The acceptance is valid for 1 year. Applicants must reapply to uni-assist. Please submit the confirmation from last year so that this can be taken into account.