Here you can find helpful answers to questions considering the application process for the M.A. program »Integrated Design Research«.

The fee for all students (EU and non-EU citizens) is approximately 300 Euros per semester, which includes an unlimited regional public transportation ticket. Depending on your accommodation costs, you should calculate an additional 700 to 800 Euros per month for food, housing, etc.
Please be aware that to obtain the German student visa, you will have to provide a proof of financing. More information on this and more can be found in detail on the »Study In Germany« website.

If you decide to do the Double Degree abroad, you will only have to pay the normal semester fee at KISD plus any additional costs for housing etc. There are scholarships available for German citizens but any other scholarship will have to be researched independently, as KISD does not offer any financial aid for studying abroad. Check the DAAD website to search for specific scholarship options.

Unfortunately, there are no KISD scholarships available.
There are, however, scholarships available for students by the German government and other entities. All information can be found here:
Deutschlandstipendium (only for first semester M.A. students)
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Stiftungen in Deutschland (available in German only)

Yes, but you have to be very convincing. Why do you want to study Integrated Design? What makes you a good fit for KISD? What can you bring from your past experiences to the program and how does studying at KISD fit into your overall goals? Please explain this clearly in your motivational letter and/or your portfolio.

There is no lateral entry possible in the Master’s program »Integrated Design Research«. You need to apply regularly to the program.

Yes. The MEET+GREET sessions inform you about the M.A. Program and give you the opportunity to ask questions about the study course, application process and life at KISD.
We also offer online counseling during the week of the CaMS application.

You can find an overview of the dates of the aptitude assessment here.

No. The M.A. program only starts in the winter term (September of every year) and we only offer the opportunity to apply to the M.A. program from mid-February to the end of April each year.

Unfortunately, we are not able to give individual feedback for the portfolio because of the large number of applications. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Choose projects and experiences that give a good overview both of your fields of interest and your design-related experience and qualifications. Works can come from academic, professional, or free projects. The uploaded PDF file cannot exceed 4MB.

Usually, every university gives you information about your national credit points vs. ECTS credit points. Most programs that last three years or more cover the required amount, but you should check with your home university.

We recognize all B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and do not have a specific deadline for the amount of time that they need to be valid.
List of major recognized tests and their corresponding B2 scores (
CEFR: B2 level
EF SET: B2 level – 51 to 60 Points
IELTS: B2 level – 5.5 to 6.0 Points
TOEFL: B2 level – 72 to 94 Points (internet-based version, UniAssist code: 2727)
Cambridge: B2 level – 160 to 179 Points
Global Scale of English (Pearson): B2 level – 59 to 75 Points
Please note that all M.A. students will have to write a substantial research-based thesis in English to successfully complete the program.

No. If you studied your Bachelor degree in English, you simply need to submit your transcript to prove that the courses were in English. Please write a letter stating that your studies were in English and submit it along with your other application documents.

Please just write us a letter stating your citizenship or any other proof of native English proficiency and submit that along with your other application documents.

It is possible to hand in your language certificate later and make a notification about it in your application. The applicants can submit the certificates later, but it is required that you upload a binding confirmation of the date for the test in the portal.

The M.A. program is full-time; however, depending on your visa, you will be able to work up to 20 hours part-time on the side. Many students also have part-time internships. That being said, your work should not interfere with your studies.

You can find information about student housing on the TH Köln website housing page. Additionally, there are special allocated student apartments throughout Cologne made available by StudentenWerk. Renting a room in a shared flat (called a »WG« for short, in German) can cost approximately 300 to 500 euros per month. Once you are accepted, there will be more information sent to you by the KISD main office to help you in your search.
Please note that due to the number of students in Cologne, finding accommodation can take some time. When accepted to KISD, you can contact the TH Köln Department of International Affairs and KISD student Facebook groups to inquire about rooms for rent.
Please be aware that there are scams targeting international students – for this reason, we do not recommend transferring money to book an apartment before meeting the people and seeing the place in person.

Yes, we offer German courses especially for designers at KISD. You will be able to sign up for them as soon as you arrive. Other options are free classes at TH Köln, which require you to take a language placement test upon your arrival, and the Volkshochschule, which are inexpensive.
We recommend taking a basic German course before arrival since most government and administrative documents in Germany are in German and it will help you adjust to living in Cologne.

International students have to apply to uni-assist first.
Then, all applicants have to upload their documents to the CaMS portal of TH Köln.
The last step is the interview with the Aptitude Assessment Committee. You will receive an invitation if your application has been found suitable.
Please note that both portals (uni-assist and CaMS) only open during a specific period of time.

uni-assist is a German government certification entity founded to standardize the application procedure for international student applicants. They act as the liaison between international student applicants and the university regarding official paperwork and eligibility. They are completely separate from KISD and TH Köln and have a different application process.
You can read more about the uni-assist process on the TH Köln page or contact the TH Köln Department of International Affairs and they might be able to help you:
Please double check your eligibility. On their website, you can find the specific country requirements.
Please note that if you hold a German undergraduate degree, you do not have to apply to uni-assist.

If you do not have German citizenship and do not hold a German undergraduate degree that is related to the Master degree Integrated Design Research, you have to apply to uni-assist first. This year, the application period to uni-assist is between mid February and March 31, 2024. They will check your national degree qualifications and let the university know if you’re elegible. You will receive a confirmation from uni-assist. After that, you have to apply to CaMS, the application portal of TH Köln.
All further questions can be answered on their FAQ website.

  • Your school-leaving certificate with subject and grade overview
  • Subject and grade overview of academic achievements at a university
  • University diploma
  • Feststellungsprüfungszeugnis (FSP), in case you passed a Studienkolleg (preparatory course)
  • Applicants with documents from China, India and Vietnam: your APS certificate
  • Proof of English language proficiency
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Copy of your passport pages containing your personal data
  • Refugees: Please upload your German residence title.
  • If you have had your name changed: copy of the relevant document; e.g. marriage certificate
  • A translation into German or English by a sworn translator of all documents which are not issued in German or English

Please also note the important additional country-specific requirements.

  • Portfolio (max. 4 MB)
  • Letter of Intent
  • Letter of Recommendation
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Proof of Language Sufficiency
  • Authenticated Copies of Certificates of Previous Study Course(s)

The APS is a joint institution of the German Embassy and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). It exists in China, Vietnam and India. The APS checks the authenticity of educational biographies and the corresponding educational certificates, and issues certificates if the result is positive. For these countries, the APS certificate is a requirement for applying to a German university.
Please make sure to apply for an APS certificate early on as it might take some time to be issued!
You can find more information about it on the uni-assist website.

Unfortunately, we are not able to give individual explanations for the rejections because of the large number of applications. We apologize for any inconvenience and encourage you to apply again next year.

Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications after the deadline. Both portals uni-assist and CaMS only open for a specific period of time, during which all applications need to be uploaded.

You will find detailed information and links for a successful start here. Furthermore, you will receive details and instructions from the university.

The acceptance is valid for 1 year. International applicants must reapply to uni-assist and CaMs (within each application period). Applicants with German citizenship of with a B.A. degree from a German university need to re-apply to CaMS only (within the application period). Please submit the confirmation from last year so that this can be taken into account.

We constantly update the website and FAQ. Usually, the exact dates for the application process are announced in December or January and they tend to be similar each year.